Monday, October 5, 2009

Pro-choice

I'm pro-choice when it comes to a woman's right to an abortion, but that's not what this blog post is about. I'm writing this post because Project Gutenberg has just presented me with a dilemma. PG has been posting the text of various public domain science fiction stories by Harl Vincent, since July 2007, and I've been doing the same thing on this blog since December 2008. They day was bound to come when PG would post a story that I've already posted, and that day has come. Saturday saw PG upload the full text of the March 1931 issue of Astounding Stories. This issue includes Vincent's "Terrors Unseen", which was the very first Vincent story I posted here at the blog.

In theory this makes my online version of "Terrors Unseen" superfluous. However, I'm not going to be deleting it, because typing it all out from my copy of the March 1931 Astounding was a lot of work, and I don't mean to banish it from the intertubes. Also, my version has been linked to at the Free Speculative Fiction Online site, and I don't want them to suffer a broken link. Instead, I've decided that my Harl Vincent Online sidebar is going to offer both online versions of the story, and indicate which is which by putting a (JP) tag after my version and a (PG) after the Project Gutenberg version. What's more, I'm going to add similar tags to all the other stories listed in the sidebar, in case there are any more duplications. And, hell, while I'm at it, I'll add the MariaLectrix audio version of "Old Cromption's Secret" too.

Because the Johnny Pez blog is pro-choice.

No comments: