Tuesday, March 31, 2009

America's newest altar boy

Is there anyone in this entire solar system who doesn't think that Newt Gingrich's recent conversion to Roman Catholicism was a cynical attempt to pander to a potential voting bloc?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Gingrich has spent the past few years waiting for the GOP to recognize him as its last, best hope for regaining power. Not nominating him for president last year was a clear sign that they weren't paying attention, so Newt has apparently decided to start nudging them. "Look at me! I'm now part of an important voting bloc! Hispanics will vote for me now, and look at how important they are! And remember JFK? He was Catholic, and now I am too, so that makes me just like him! Vote for me, dammit, vote for me!"

Newt's track record for political success hasn't been very impressive lately. In fact, pretty much everything he's done since 1995 has been a horrible failure. I'm going to go way out on a limb and predict that his "conversion" will be a horrible failure, too.

No comments: