Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Confessions of an old Trekkie

I'm what's known in Star Trek fandom as a second generation fan, which means I didn't watch the original series during its network run in the 1960s, but I did start watching the reruns in the 1970s. In fact, I started out as a fan of the animated series when it started in 1973 and only then started watching reruns of the original. I've generally kept up with the series, have seen every movie, and every episode of The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine and most episodes of Voyager and Enterprise. As a result, I am well-versed in Star Trek lore, and I bear the title "Trekkie" proudly.

And I just saw the eleventh Star Trek movie today.

Like others, I was unhappy that J. J. Abrams' reboot (or whatever they're calling it) uses a time travel plot to basically erase all of Star Trek from existence. However, given that Enterprise started out with the timestream being altered by interference from the future, that ship has pretty much sailed. That's right, folks, it was actually Rick Berman and Brannon Braga who erased the original series from the timeline; Abrams was just putting in the finishing touches.

No comments: